Fibroid Specialist in San Francisco, CA
Many women have fibroids without even knowing it, but in some cases, they can cause painful symptoms and reproductive problems. At Pacific Gynecology Surgical Group, acclaimed gynecological surgeon Leslie Kardos MD, FACOG can treat uterine fibroids and know that hysterectomy isn’t the only option. Although benign, fibroids can still cause problems like heavy or irregular periods, and in some cases, they may even have an impact on fertility. Dr. Kardos has over 25 years of experience in diagnosing and treating uterine fibroids for women in San Francisco so they can enjoy life again. If you suspect you have fibroids and want the most advanced treatment available, call Dr. Kardos or request an appointment online today
What are Fibroids?
Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors that grow around and in the muscle tissue of your uterus. Fibroids vary significantly in shape, size, and location. These tumors can develop:
- On the outer surface of the uterus
- Inside the uterus
- Within the uterine wall
- Attached to the uterus by a stem-like structure
You may have only one, or many at the same time. It’s also possible for a fibroid to remain small for several years and then proliferate.
These tumors rarely turn into cancer, but some San Francisco women need to have them treated or removed to stop painful symptoms. Fibroids that are attached to your uterus by a stem may twist, causing pain, fever, or nausea. Those that grow quickly can use up the available blood supply and start to break down, which also causes pain.
In some cases, fibroids may make it difficult to get pregnant.
What Causes Fibroids?
The causes of fibroids are unknown, but research indicates fluctuations in hormone levels and genetics likely play major roles. Fibroids are more likely to develop during a woman’s reproductive years, and many women in San Francisco may have tiny fibroids and won’t even know it.
What are the Symptoms Associated with fibroids?
Many fibroids don’t cause any symptoms, but when they do, symptoms can include:
- abnormal or heavy menstrual bleeding
- prolonged periods
- pain or pressure in the pelvic region
- frequent urge to urinate
- problems emptying the bladder
The type of symptoms experienced can vary based on the size, number and location of the fibroids.
Find Out if You Have a Higher Chance of Developing Fibroids
Uterine Fibroids, which are abnormal growths in a woman’s uterus, affect 20 to 80 percent of women in their lifetime. These tumors can cause severe abdominal pain and heavy periods. Dr. Kardos offers treatment for uterine fibroids for women in and around the San Francisco Bay Area. Click below to request an appointment with Dr. Kardos.
What Factors Increase your Chance of Getting Fibroids?
There are many factors that increase a woman’s risk of developing fibroids, including:
- Genetics – A family history of uterine fibroids increases your chance of getting fibroids.
- Age – Women ages 30 and up are more prone to developing fibroids. After menopause, fibroids usually shrink on their own.
- Hormonal Imbalance – An abnormal amount of estrogen and progesterone might cause the growth of fibroids. During pregnancy, women produce more estrogen and progesterone, making pregnancy another cause of uterine fibroids.
- Diet – A diet that is high in red meat and ham has been proven to increase your chance of getting uterine fibroids. However, eating a lot of green vegetables can decrease your chance of developing fibroids.
How is Uterine Fibroids Treated?
For women who do experience symptoms of fibroids, Dr. Leslie Kardos might recommend the following treatment options:
- Medications – Low-dose birth controls can help stop fibroids from growing. They can also control heavy bleeding. If pain is the only symptom, over-the-counter pain medicine will help.
- Surgery – If your fibroids cause mild to severe symptoms, surgery might be the most effective form of treatment. Dr. Leslie Kardos specializes in minimally invasive options for fibroid treatment.
Dr. Leslie Kardos is highly trained in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery for uterine fibroids using the da Vinci Surgical System. She is experienced in providing minimally invasive solutions for complex gynecological conditions such as fibroids and has performed over 500 da Vinci procedures. Different Da Vinci procedures for uterine fibroids include:
- Myomectomy – Surgery to remove uterine fibroids without taking out healthy tissue
- Hysterectomy – Surgical removal of the uterus
Schedule an Appointment for Uterine Fibroids Treatment in San Francisco, CA
If you are currently suffering from uterine fibroids, schedule an appointment with Dr. Kardos today! She will take the time to provide you with a comprehensive diagnosis to determine the best treatment option for you. For more information, contact our women’s health clinic at (415) 426-7859.